PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 19th Nov 2013, 09:22
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Lozz, probably a bit off topic but I will give you my best answer, bearing in mind I have now retired from the industry. First, a bit of history: I came from the fortunate era when sponsored courses abounded. Bristow recruitment policy (onto their sponsored courses I mean) was as follows:

Have a PPL(A) - shows you have some interest and aptitude in flying

Have a good few O levels and an A level in a science or maths based subject (these were the days before everyone got an A grade A level by birthright!).
Pass an interview
Pass some physical co-ordination/aptitude and group working tests (at Hamble, which at the time was the BA flying school)

I don't know what the success rate was to reach the end of this process, but once on it, most people completed the sponsored course and gained employment in Bristow. Our course for instance had a 10/10 success rate, and it was rare for more than 1/10 to fail.

Those people now form the backbone of Bristow ops department ie are the trainers, chief trainers, head of flight ops etc.

Winding forward 30 years we had a big recruitment drive recently. Lots of people knocking on the door with still-damp CPL(H)/IR in hand. We were desperate for new pilots but I think the acceptance rate was something like 10%. One or two of those turned out to be "problem people". I wasn't directly involved in recruitment, but I heard that a lot were incapable of flying a pretty mundane instrument approach in the Sim without ending up upside down etc. Obviously procedural approaches in strange sim, with no experience other than a IR test under your belt, is hard work. But that some were quite good at it, whilst many were hopeless, means it was not an unreasonable test.

At interview I believe quite a number were plain weird. A lot were uncertain whether they wanted to relocate to Aberdeen long term. Some were trying to play off the different operators all of whom were recruiting. Etc etc. I don't think we were particularly picky but a lot of people were obviously unsuitable.

So none of that really answers your question! It perhaps gives you an idea of the problems faced by the employers.

I would say that you need to be reasonably well educated preferably with A levels in maths/science subjects. A degree in an engineering-type subject always goes down well. You need good verbal and written communication skills. No text-speak please! Good interview technique (plenty of interview technique coaching establishments out there these days). A little bit of experience beyond a basic licence / IR because just like a car, passing your driving test doesn't really mean you can drive, but once out there on your own experiencing a wider range of roads and conditions, your driving rapidly improves. In terms of IF I think there is value in flying procedural instrument approaches, from proper approach plates (jep or Airad), on a PC flight sim. At the very least, its a very cheap way to hopefully make a difference.

But I suspect, when you consider that these days schools and even colleges are churning out folk who, according to industry, are often unemployable, that it is your personal demeanour rather than your flying that is the most important thing to worry about - after all, you have passed a test for your flying, but not for your personality! As a really really big generalisation, it seems to be the case that the chap who has struggled financially to get his licence, is better motivated than the chap whose rich daddy has coughed up for one as a birthday present.

As to future developments, sorry I am now out of the industry and all I know is that Bristow realises that it may be worth reverting to the process I mentioned right at the beginning, and having more sponsored courses, since the investment pays off in the long term.

Hope that is slightly helpful!

Editing to add that CRM is very important these days. I don't know if any foundation CRM is covered for basic licence issue - probably not, in which case perhaps a CRM course should be considered prior to application. Not only would this look good, the issues covered, whilst perhaps looking a bit touchy feely mumbo jumbo-ish, in fact are very useful and really do make a difference. You are going from single pilot to multi pilot, and having a colleague with poor CRM strapped up close and personal to you for 8 hours is a most unpleasant experience!

Last edited by HeliComparator; 19th Nov 2013 at 12:26.