PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Nears Bankruptcy (merged)
Old 28th Mar 2003, 23:56
WhatsaLizad?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B767300ER,

As an AA guy, I don't take any comfort in the fact the TWA guys are getting whacked first. We are way beyond losing some "excess weight", but are now losing vital organs. Right now we are like a 747-400 that has lost 3 engines at "gear up".

Again, my comments and your situation is based on what was set in stone by APA pre 9/11, and not afterwards for some "furlough fodder" agenda.

From my own situation, AA upgrades had virtually stopped by the summer of 2001. I was a bottom Captain with 11 years of seniority, and that only came with a junior Christmas day simcheck. If things had remained stagnant, MOST of the AA upgrades would have occurred in STL exclusively for TWA guys mainly due to almost 50% of the Captains retiring over a 3.5 year period. That "MOST LIKELY", (no guarantees), would have put 1996 TWA hires as 8 year STL Captains by mid 2004. At AA, Captain upgrades ,"MOST LIKELY", (no guarantees), probably would have hovered around the 10-12 year mark with TWA guys making it in 7-8. I doubt we would have heard much from your group if the WTC towers were still standing.

These numbers are still "ballpark" guesses. The point is that pre 9/11, your deal wasn't that bad for your seniority. consider also the lack of early 1990 TWA hiring. The last guy hired in 1990 might have made Captain during Xmas of 2001 at his 11year point, but if he passed along with 52 guys junior to him, then *Presto*!, a 1995 hire makes Captain in 6 years. The point is that this very possibly could have occurred for the TWA guys, it was very unlikely for the AA side.Seniority can have a funny effect on things sometimes.

I wish you the best.