PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 04:47
HS125

Location: On the right of the clowns and to the left of the jokers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[b]They are round and they might bounce[/b]

Still if you fly the approach at blue line speed, which you should always (as a minimum) do in a twin then there should be sufficient safety margin to go full power on the good engine to go around.
not correct at all.

There may be no margin whatsoever or even a negative one. Im talking there about the ideal case (Clean, Inoperative Engine Feathered, Steady unaccelerated flight, the lot.)

I've been in a light twin where the engine was unresponsive beyond idle power. Imagine that happened to you in a situation you decided you needed to go around, the aircraft was at low height in a low energy situation and the failure was insidious. Anyone want to give up yet?

Does anyone remember the accident to the Learjet G-MURI? I know it's a different aircraft but it doesn't mean we all don't have lessons to be learned.

Less than 24 hours after challenging a post basically claiming that an engine failure in a twin is ok I'm seeing practically the same attitude. Some of you don't need to see an aircraft again until you can get at least a working knowledge of performance theory. I'm sorry to be harsh, but you clearly can't take it the easy way so you'll have to be told to TAKE RECURRENT TRAINING especially in the classroom because there are situations out there where no matter how accurately you can fly the aircraft, it WILL crash.

@Big Pistons Forever
you clearly do know what you're talking about sir (or madam). My experience of Gary was that he always did actually enjoy talking what-if's and wanted to learn more all the time. He understood that having 2 engines could be a ticket to freedom or quite the opposite depending on the situation; I'm with you on your take on the challenges concerned.

Last edited by HS125; 19th Nov 2013 at 05:11.