PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 22:09
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the graphics, Turbine.

As with modifications of the military HUD symbology, I feel they are trying to portray too much info, and some will be overwhelmed by trying to keep up with all the stuff. So I prefer "de-clutter" options and a simple glance at basic gauges as part of the cross check.

I include a video that has lessons for the Asiana crew. If you don't have Quicktime, there are free viewers out there. So download and view at your leisure. The incident was "severe" structural problem, so I flew a very high approach speed ( about 30-40 knots above normal) and made a shallow approach to avoid a normal "flare". I didn't get slow like Asiana, but we shared too low of an approach angle and it almost bit me. But using a bit of power I corrected at the end and made it to the end of the runway. In that configuration you lose roll authority if getting slow and/or pulling back for touchdown. So actually seeing your "impact" point with the velocity vector can really help. just looking thru the windshield might not be enuff.

Reason for the approach is this:

Video is here, and note last 30 seconds of the approach.

http://www.sluf.org/warbirds/lef-landing.m4v

Confirmed user and believer of the HUD.