PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighting plane down in NSW
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 21:47
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Heff lashes out at RFS!

yr right:
RFS dont like aircraft cause they work its not a shinny red fire truck wake up smell the roses RFS is a mini emprire building place where the super heros live, sorry guys sad but true and once again im in the know here.
It would appear that yr right's above comment may be close to the truth and the RFS were definitely part of the causal chain for this tragic accident. Yesterday in Senate Estimates the Chair Senator Heffernan started the inquisition of CAsA with a passionate rant, although the Hansard is yet to be released the Murdoch press covered the moment and put out this article:Pilot 'taunted' before fatal crash
'I'm disgusted as I'm informed that on that day it was pretty rugged weather and ... (pilots) were taunted by the Rural Fire Service because these guys didn't particularly want to fly,' Liberal senator Bill Heffernan told a Senate hearing into operations of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

The NSW senator said another pilot reported that Mr Black was told 'real men and real pilots would be up there'.

Witnesses saw a wing snap off Mr Black's aircraft before it plummeted to the ground.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating the crash.
Senator Heffernan said the RFS's opinions are 'outside the ambit of safety guidelines of air safety' and asked CASA to clarify its working relationship with the fire authority during emergency operations.

The CASA boss John McCormick said pilots are contracted by the bush fire service during waterbombing.

'We do rely on the expertise of the people who are involved with the firefighting ... I think it's terrible if they gave him intimidation to fly,' Mr McCormick said.
Kind of reminds me of a certain SBP email..." toughen up princesses"...hmm Captain 49'er commenting on intimidation is definitely (Mc)Comical!

More to follow...