PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold War, Hot Jets BBC2 2100 Friday
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 19:53
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob,

With the Bomb Comp you must remember that initially the best 3 crews from one bomber wing (3 sqns) competed against the best crews from each SAC Bombing Wing.

The SAC teams comprised both B52 and B58. Usually we did well but not startlingly well. Then we upped our game.

We got the best team from all the Strike Command Vulcan sqns and formed the Giant Voice flt. A second team Big Top was also formed and the two competed against each other.

Then there were different prizes with some being for USAF only. The big prize was, IIRC, the Fairchild trophy and another for navigation.

In 1966 (I think) Bob Tomkins from Cottesmore got a navigation error of about 0.6 miles over a 1200 mile night celestial route. The best SAC crew error was 0.2 (a B58 I believe) and second was another with 0.4.

The second night there was more turbulence and we were all sweating (back at Cottesmore) on the results. Bob only got 1.2 miles that night giving an aggregate of 1.8 miles. Then the best USAF crew got 3.2 and the second about 3.6 giving the Vulcan an outstanding and convincing win.

Later, in the early 70s, the Giant Voice aircraft had additional radar offset boxes fitted, the bombing offset voltages were bay set, and other parts of the kit given special tuning. In 1973 Mike Cook (plotter) and Robin Hardisty (radar) then won the competition and were honoured by GAPAN with the award of the Johnston Memorial Trophy. The following year Candlish and Vinales were awarded the trophy (I am not sure how they got on with the Bomb Comp.)

The best 3 SAC crews were also invited back to UK for the Bombing Competition. One notable year all 3 B52s failed to achieve a result on a simulated target near Wainfleet. Two took the Holbeach track, the 3rd hit the target but from the wrong direction. The SAC General flew from the US to present the prizes, presented them and boarded his aircraft back the the US. The SAC crew spot promotions to LTC were cancelled.

Later competitions in the US included the FB111 and the Tornado GR1s. The Tornados did exceptionally well and were not invited again.