PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 18th Nov 2013, 12:06
SASless

Received 512 Likes on 214 Posts
DB,

Sounds like a perfectly good approach to learning.

I used to do something similar in the Bell 412 and S-76 Sim.

My favorite scenario was set up by the Students themselves.

If they failed to brief the Missed Approach when doing an ILS....I "disappeared" the airport so they would not see a thing when arriving at DH.

Immediately....confusion set in.

Almost invariably....they hit "Go Around" but did not think to raise the Collective (three Axis system only). Shortly, we saw the equivalent of what happened off Shetland.

Taking the video tape down to the classroom, grabbing a cup of coffee while they watched themselves on TV....usually got the point across they needed to listen and learn from the Instructor and Course of Instruction.

There were other ways as well.....set up the situation...get them "busy" and watch them make a mistake that resulted in a crash....and they started listening to what was being said.

Key point....once they "SAW" it could happen to them....there was a much better attitude shown re understanding how easy it is to be the cause of one's own demise.

If time was available I liked to take the crew out to the Aircraft Carrier....make it a very dark, very hazy night....no reference but the lights and wake of the carrier. Then ask them to perform an EOL to the Carrier from 5,000 feet MSL.

The teaching point was to get them to thinking about the "Basics" of helicopter flying....in this case....did the intended point of landing move up or down on the point of the windscreen....meaning are you going to make the spot or not. It was not about landing on the Carrier....but forcing them to revert to one of the first things we learn in flying helicopters after all the sophisticated and complex topics and maneuvers they had been dealing with for up to a week.

That was my way of ending the sim session reminding them that remembering the basics is something we need to do all the time we are flying the helicopter for at some point it might make the difference between going home to the Wife and Kids or not.