PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Stanley
Thread: RAF Stanley
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 10:50
AndySmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were some attacks planned on mainland airfields in the summer of 1983. This was in response to 23 Sqn's resoundingly successful participation (OK, it was the QWIP) in an otherwise spectacularly unsuccessful firepower demo for the Army on a W Falkland range. There was much running about with pink files with a big red stamp on them shortly thereafter- I think it took about a week before the "General Staff" at HQ BFFI was persuaded that committing the bulk of your AD assets to un-recce'd strafe attacks at max unrefuelled range was not out of the top drawer of cunning plans.
But, does this mean they were actually planned to take place, and then cancelled - or contingency plans for a retaliation in the invent of an attack by the Argentine Air Force? I would doubt that there would have been a plan for a unilateral attack by UK assests against the Argentine mainland, given the political fallout that would provoke - including the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance - but there again, I only take the view of a historian looking at the context of the time rather than someone that was there.

Could you elaborate more on the firepower demonstration on West Falkland.

Thanks

A