PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold War, Hot Jets BBC2 2100 Friday
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 10:17
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clicker, indeed.

I don't know about the pre-flight IN alignment but I do know it could be a sod getting it mated with the aircraft systems. If the system failed to mate or there was a fuel system malfunction the crew would be committed to target penetration and a pop up attack and level release at 11,000 feet. Given the streamline nature of the missile they would not have been as well placed as the free-fall crews that could release in the climb and therefore have less exposure.

Once airborne with a serviceable system the IN would be tweaked using a technique called Fix Monitored Azimuth. Precisely surveyed fix points en route would be used and corrections between the BS/IN predicted position and the actual position identified using the H2S would be compared and Kn and Ke (kinetic north/east) corrections applied to tweak the system.

The Blue Steel, as a free running IN system was nowhere near as accurate as later (or contemporary) double and triple inertial setups. Indeed the later free-fall Heading Reference System (which could also use FMA) and Doppler were more accurate over the long term.

A good Blue Steel attack would be around 400 yards, similar to contemporary free-fall attacks and better than free-fall climbing release with Yellow Sun.