PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 18th Nov 2013, 08:08
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB - I think you're absolutely right that training involving things going wrong - and I mean divergence from normal flight profiles rather than failures - is likely to be more valuable than just monitoring lots of properly done approaches. In fact I'm surprised this is isn't done more, by the sound of it. People can look very competent when they do things by rote, (eg accurately following a prescribed approach) but it's only when you hit them with something abnormal that you can see how much awareness they really have of all the crucial parameters, and skills to get them back on course if they are not right.

With regard to pilot competence, there have been a vast number of posts on this thread about training, quite reasonably, but virtually none about basic aptitude.

I do wonder whether the industry has sufficiently realised that, particularly with such increasing sophistication of aircraft and systems, a pretty high level of intelligence is necessary to be a good safe pilot. When everything is hunky dory yes, flying is not too challenging and a lot of people, trained, could do it. But when things get challenging, intelligence is required to make sensible rapid judgements and decisions.

It really worries me when I read of the occasional story of some kid being picked to have a free full CPL/ATPL training course, with no apparent selection process to ensure they are bright enough. You wouldn't want a surgeon operating on your kids, or a lawyer acting for you, who had only got 5 poor GSCEs! I'm not saying all pilots similarly need 3 or 4 Grade A A levels, but flying modern IFR twins well is a challenging job and I do think consideration should be given to ensuring commercial pilots are selected on some sort criteria to ensure they are sufficiently bright and quick thinking to be able to deal safely with the dramas they will inevitably encounter from time to time.

Can anyone shed any light on what academic qualifications are required by any commercial and military organisations to qualify for CPL/ATPL training?

Finally I must make it clear I am not suggesting this point applies to this Sumburgh accident - it is a general comment.

Last edited by rotorspeed; 18th Nov 2013 at 09:56.