PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shine Aviation C208 crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 07:41
porini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all: I was present, eye witness to this crash. The crash did not happen in Selous, but at "Likawage airstrip, which is a great strip, and very visible. The flight in with passengers was on their 206. After landing, their 206 failed to start, and was abandoned on the strip for some time.. When they returned 11 days later, they came with Caravan .

The pilot (according to what the Co-pilot told me) attempted to land from the east (wind behind him), and was told by the CP that "what are you doing?? You can not land from that direction!!" After the plane landed, and was loaded with one passenger from USA and his luggage, the "pilot" took off the wrong way, (to the west). I checked my cigarette, and the wind was fairly strong, from the east to west (as usual). He did not turn the plane around, but took off straight west, much to our surprised. The plane then dissapeared into the trees. We drove to end of strip, then ran to give aid.

The plane was on fire & black smoke on the right side, fuel spilling from the left side. We thought perhaps all were dead. We pulled out everyone, then risked our lives to save the luggage. The pilot un hurt, american injured, and CP was the worst (covered with blood). I used a sat phone to call for help, then took all to nearest small village for doctor.

The highly professional FLIGHTLINK came to rescue in a Caravan. They were not surprised, and seemed to know stories about this so-called "Pilot". I heard they revoked his license, but can not verify that at this time. Tragic! I have many photos of the aircraft on fire.