PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 05:02
HS125

Location: On the right of the clowns and to the left of the jokers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no doubt that an engine failure at takeoff in a twin is a high risk scenario. But in every other scenario an engine loss is pretty close to a non event.
Except:

- When you're hot and high, and maybe heavy too so that it won't maintain altitude even at Vyse clean with full power on the live engine.
- In icing conditions when you might have other calls on the power from the live engine.
- Any time you need to go around
- In locations with challenging terrain where the climb gradient (especially missed approach climb gradient) is critical.
- In some older types that don't have duplicated systems (e.g hydraulic pumps) on each engine.

I could go on before we even get started about the failure mode…….

An engine failure can be benign, but it can be a very serious event in a variety of stages of flight in any type.

Talking as someone who has tried Gliders, Singles, Multis, Turboprops, 2 Engine Jets, 3 Engine jets, piston and turbine helicopters, 2 engine turbine helicopters; And someone who has taught people to fly various equipment I can attest that flying a light Multi-Engine piston is some of the most challenging flying going.

Talking as someone who once flew with the deceased (in a plane and a heli) I can also attest that he was extremely competent and a gentleman whom would have hired on a few occasions had he had a commercial license and been in the market. Bloody hell I wish he had been.

I think some conjecture and discussion in these hellish situations is healthy; I find that on recurrent courses at Flightsafety, CAE, Simcom etc; Groundschool often reverts to 'war stories' and I also recognize that sharing experiences is a good thing that probably saves as many lives as the rest of the training experience.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not accusing anyone of being insensitive, calling anyone retarded or playing some nasty schoolmaster shouting anyone down: But if anyone thinks something that qualifies as an Emergency or even Abnormal procedure is mostly insignificant, or don't fully understand the relationship between the critical speeds for the type or class you're flying PLEASE PLEASE go back to school for the aircraft and change the school if you have to.

I was a young man when I first had to see a dead person in an aircraft and have too many friends either seriously injured or who went for a flight and never came home. In many cases there's been others similarly involved, and in some a very experienced and professional pilot lost their life in a perfectly serviceable piece of equipment. There are others out there that I am totally astounded keep getting away with it who won't listen and neither will anyone else.

Be safe out there people

Goodnight.