PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who represents GA to government in Australia?
Old 18th Nov 2013, 00:01
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So then, who will represent GA at the next gummint sponsored circus?
The real sadness is that it needs anyone. That government AND the public service are so removed from their constituents that they need someone to interpret for them. If they were doing their collective jobs, they'd know.

Why is GA treated as a special thing? The equivalent discussion of this does not seem to occur with road vehicles, or boats, or motorbikes, or most other endeavours that have a business / private mix.

Aviation is so over-regulated that we don't even know what it should look like anymore.

Road transport can mix road trains to light trucks, to tractors, motorbikes, private cars and historic vehicles all within the same regulator at a fraction of the administrative cost. Why can't aviation?

I can drive a 20t truck on a photo ID licence that I pay a couple of hundred bucks for every 10 years with no medical requirement. But to fly a 1 tonne aeroplane I need an annual medical, annual flight check and biannual security check. The combined annual cost of this probably approaches $1000. Really?

My guess is that the ministerial review is really about trying to decide what to do with the Senate hearing and about getting CASA / AsA & ATSB to play well together.

It is said that achieving long term cultural change requires 1/3 of the management to change. I can't see this will happen in the shelter of public service land in Canberra. So, we will continue to tinker at the edges and wonder why the end result doesn't vary much.