PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2013, 20:17
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks, JT. Was wondering how we got that except is does concern the alpha "protections" and such.

Glad to see a few that "believe" in a decent AoA indication that could have the "limit" AoA clearly marked for the pilot. The ones I flew really helped on approaches. You could compare the alpha with the calculated approach speed for your weight and configuration. Simple procedure and helped a lot on short fields and such.

Ditto for a basic HUD. I do not understand the "HUD resistance" here by several heavy pilots that seem to tolerate MFD's that are crowded with data and tapes and.... From my time in two great jets with HUD's, I truly believe the AF pilots would have seen what was coming before they went thru the stall envelope. Especially so if an AoA indication was there "hooked" to the flight path vector. And remember that the flight path vector is independent of any air data, so frozen or stuck aero sensors are non-players.

Such inexpensive displays that "help" pilots at low cost and not millions of lines of code and..... And still thinking about Asiana in this regard.