PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What helicopter for SAR in Norway?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2013, 19:21
Vertical751

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question was asked: how often do the Portuguese and Canadians have to rescue people from dinghies, lilos and very small craft? No answer was given. Read into that what you will.
Sorry for the late reply.

In 2011 the portuguese Merlins flew 608:20 hours on real SAR and/or AIREV (Aeromedical Evacuation) missions. 173 recoveries.
In 2012 more then 430 hours, with 157 recoveries.

I honestly donīt know the real proportion but itīs fair to estimate that at least 10% of those missions were recoveries from small ships, dinghies or even from the water. I can surely remember several of them. On my last 3 months I had at least 3 operational recoveries from vessels smaller then the helicopter.

I would like to emphasize this, because I donīt what to be misinterpreted: the downwash is in fact very strong, but thatīs a compromise regarding all the other specs of the helicopter. So, like all other SAR operators out there, we adapt. You apply new techniques and news procedures to minimize the effect of the downwash. And from my personal experience, the downwash has not been a factor.

In our view - and I guess the Canadians think the same - the range the Merlin brings to the table is far more important then the eventual strong downwash effect. But, then again, both of our countries have enormous SRR. If you only need to go 100 NM offshore, you have better cost-effective options, for sure.

Well, all I wanted to say was "congrats to Norway!". Great SAR helicopter.

Regards,