PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2013, 17:37
rustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
englishal, I am guilty of looking at those pictures having already made my mind up what I thought was happening immediately before they were taken.

i.e. I visualised a 3 degree straight-in approach. Text book stuff. Asymmetric or both running I didn't know.

However something Michael posted (another place) made me think about what else might have happened

For example, if the pictures in the Mirror were the last 3 in a set of 7, and the first 4 (we haven't seen, I made these up) showed the aircraft on downwind then making a curved final approach, say 45 degree bank, would we automatically assume engine failure control issue? More likely we'd suspect aileron jammed or flap extension (you'd drop the flaps/gear in this turn) asymmetry - no time to react to that.

Not enough data in the public domain to know, but it shows how fixated you can become on one root-cause.

It also shows IMO why it is worth discussing these things - we may not have all the answers but sometimes the questions can be just as illuminating.