PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship and mixed types in the circuit
Old 28th Mar 2003, 18:10
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G the E

Surely because you were in front the PA28 driver should have apologised profusely and had it been me I would have been embarrassed to tell you how many hours I had after being such a plonker.

I regularly fly in to Popham in my PA28 (I wasn't up yesterday!!!!) and I accept that it is predominantly microlights in the air so make way for them. It isn't difficult to judge the timings of a circuit and I work on the basis that an a/c travelling at twice the speed should fly a circuit twice the size to keep everything running smoothly.

I have never been in a microlight (would love to) but can imagine it's quite daunting feeling rather exposed when other GA a/c are buzzing about especially at weekends.

I still think half the problem is the unspoken snobbery that some PPL (A) pilots have about flying. Most of the time these PPL (A) pilots don't own the a/c they are flying whereas the "mike" pilot does. Therefore, where's the room for snobbery there? Some might think it takes more skill to fly a Piper than a Pegasus, I doubt it.

There are a lot of airfields that don't allow microlights to visit.
All PPL(A) pilots know this so should therefore respect that fact when they visit a place like Popham where microlighting is the "base" activity. I'm not having a go at fellow PPL(A) bretheren but I think the whole arrogance that some flyers adopt should be turned round into a "Live and let Live" one.