PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 380 loses engine, goes 5000 miles
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2013, 10:52
suninmyeyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the last 6 years I can think of 3 accidents in twin engined aircraft caused by total engine failure in flight, a 777, An Airbus A320 and a Boeing 737.

Since 4 engine commercial jet airliners started flying in the 1960s I cannot think of one accident on a 4 engined jet airliner due to multiple engine failure resulting in insufficient thrust to remain airborne. I am not counting fuel exhaustion as those were not mechanical failures of the engine.

Engines were not so reliable back in those days and 707's and the early 747's did sometimes lose one or two engines. There is a big difference between an uncontained engine failure with adjacent damage which is the scenario some people seem to be thinking about on this forum and an engine that has been shut down by the flight crew due to low oil pressure, high vibration, high temperature etc.

In the past before the days of the internet a lot of 4 engined aircraft would have carried on to destination after an engine failure with their passengers blissfully ignorant and the general public unaware. The pilots would have used their skill and judgement to decide whether to continue or not and unqualified people on forums who have never flown jet airliners would not be thinking they knew better than the pilots.