PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are military trained Helicopter pilots overrated?
Old 28th Mar 2003, 16:50
JKnife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read this topic with interest. I am ex-military and work for a large civil company. All I can say is that there are good and bad from both walks of life.

What annoys me is that the ones having a go at the ex-military are those that have never been in the Services and therefore have no idea of what training and flying experince military pilots have to go through. When you talk to them and tell them of some of the things you have to do (such as underslung loads day and night, NVG, etc), some of them look gob-smacked that you were even allowed to do anything so stupid! I found some of the training captains (those civil trained) in my Company really had an anti ex-military chip on their shoulder and didn't want to listen to any ideas you had that might improve things. It can take a number of years for you to be accepted by these individuals.

However, on the other side of things, I can see the resentment the civil-only pilots have when I saw the attitude shown to them by some of the older ex-militery pilots (fortunately now most retired). I cringed at the attitude shown by these guys to the younger pilots, both civil and ex-mil.

I think todays training for military pilots is now more similar and compatible with civil flying than it ever was with regard to such things as CRM. There will be things the military pilot does that civil do not because of the nature of the job and/or because that type of flying is not allowed by the civil authority of that country. At then end of the day you train for the job you are going to do be it in the military or in civil life.

There are some excellent pilots from both worlds and also some pretty awful ones (and we can all think of some from both worlds).

What is more important is that by telling each other of our experiences in either world we can all learn something. At then end of the day whatever out training background, we have a CIVIL licence, that makes us all civil pilots!!