PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF AT to the Philippines?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2013, 01:16
gr4techie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glojo.

I don't know if you are deliberately misleading us because you are Navy and want your relief effort to wave more willys than ours. But I think you are over estimating what is possible with the resources of your little boat. You may be able to look after a 100 people and light up a 12x12 tent, but being able to make a difference to 100,000's and rebuild an nation would realistically require a lot more.

1. Sanitation... They will organise some type of mass toilet facilities
Does the ship carry 1000's of portaloos? Or are you talking about digging a hole in the ground?

2. Water.. The ship will be making fresh water and as much of it as possible. We are talking in the tons per day.
Where are you going to store all this water once you have made it all? Do you have 10,000 green bottles?

3. The chefs will go ashore and set up huge canteens where they will start cooking food for as many people as they can.
How many cooks do you have? Do they have an entire field kitchen to feed an army and how much food have you got?

4. Shipwrights will try to repair essential buildings
What with?

5. mechanics\artificers will try to sort out power to get the electricity working.
If you are going to do more than light up the insides of a tent. How are you going to generate sufficient electrical power that can replace the lines from a power station? You will need quite a few pretty big diesel generators.

6. Mechanics and sailors will try to get water flowing through damaged pipework
Underground pipework that requires heavy plant machinery?

7. The doctor and his staff will set up a hospital to carry out whatever aid is required and if the ship carries a fully qualified doctor (which this ship does) they will also no doubt be able to carry out emergency surgery.
Is that one Dr with only enough medication for the ships company?

8. This ship I believe carries a dentist so any major dental work can be carried out..
As above.

9. Schooling for the children if deemed appropriate or more likely some of the married personnel will set up play camps for these traumatised children and get them playing and no doubt laughing.
Do you carry on your little boat, all the books and learning resources used by a school. Any qualified teachers?

10. Mechanics\artificers will try to repair broken,essential machinery.
If they have the right tools and parts to hand.

11. Electricians will try to get the power distributed once the engineers have sorted out the generators....
I imagine the cabling used on the national grid maybe of a thicker and more industrial grade than the cable used to repair the instrumentation of your boat.

What will your C130 do?
Bring in what is really needed for all my points raised above.