PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2013, 22:25
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Skipness

There's no such thing as a "national air link". In the UK we run most routes commercially for profit.
Indeed. I didn't think I was suggesting subsidised fares, what I thought I meant was that the lack of capacity has driven the regional flights out due to the lower profits to be made from them.

Had we have had the 3rd optimised for Short Haul across the past 20 years then, I suggest, LHR could have been more of a hub because the regions from PLH to INV. Those routes got thrown out and are one (only one) of the reasons for the traffic going elsewhere.

Naturally, the LCCs have done a fantastic job of providing alternative routes and connections - but EGLL is the poorer because no one was in charge of keeping a national hub capable of taking the demand. The lack of good rail connections also features.

With regards to the M.E. carriers serving all of Europe: I had not mentioned Continental Europe but I am well aware that they are cleaning up there as well.

I think that the LHR market has been moved by a lack of capacity that drove out the regions. Then the LCCs weighed in. The Euro hubs and M.E. hubs have seen the opportunity. And all credit to them.

BUT
Whatever the reasons - LHR might get 3rd but I doubt and certainly not more. The end result will be another fudge with LGW-2 and STN-2 being back in the frame.

I have lived within 30km (19mi) of LHR for 35 years so I am biased in it's favour.