PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Evella crash findings
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2003, 15:45
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
404 Titan as usual spot on.
BUT.
Geeeeeeeez, and , here I go again, VH-BBI (unless the rego has been transferred to anothery) was a very tired old sh!tfight the last time I saw her over 15 years ago and I dont imagine she has been sitting in a hangar since and must have put on at least another 9,000 hrs. Which BTW was about its design life in the first place.

I cant find the serial number because VH-BBI is now a Bell 206 but if my memory serves me right it must have been an early "M"
and by then with probably a min. 15,000 hrs.??

I don't suppose any one looked beyond the "stupid pilot" routine, as it appears that the ATSB did not attend the site, and investigate the very real possibility of a structural or component failure at some time during the final seconds, given the age and service conditions of that aircraft.

The youngster may have been a little enthusiastic and I am not condoning the alleged actions, but the manoeuvre described may well have been performed within the airframe design limits, but was simply the straw that broke the camels back.

is apparently now such a mundane event in Australian aviation that the investigator doesn’t bother turning up.
Prof Reason may have something to say about the whole hapenstance.

Young pilots and geriatric airframes do not mix well.

But I guess that now, we'll never know.