PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2013, 13:39
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from BOAC (my emphasis):
rrrat - I eventually found the thread trail (25 Oct) you refer to! I think Clandestino will recognise his error in the light of day and realise he has been confused by the IAS inhibition on the stall warning. Indeed, 100kts TAS is well enough to register an AoA on a balanced probe (I assume they are balanced?), even allowing for density, I would reckon.

I'm hoping to find time to answer the rest of his post later (got a car to wash), but I respectfully suggest that you two may be missing Clandestino's point here.

His key word is "trigonometry". Think about it. Compare the pitch attitude of the aircraft, and therefore the pitots, with its steeply-downward trajectory. Haven't got time to check the figures right now, but, although the vertical component of its trajectory is (say) 10,800ft/min (180ft/s, or just over 100kts TAS), the pitot tube is at more than 90 degrees to that.

That's why - I think - he made a cryptic, light-hearted reference to "no swivelling pitots... on 330" (i.e., they DON'T SWIVEL...)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 16th Nov 2013 at 14:09.