PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to disconnect autopilot on approach
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2013, 04:38
Tu.114

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Horses for courses.

Of course, in marginal weather or with otherwise high workload, it is good practice to dump as much work on the computers as one possibly can. But with everything else in order, I do not hear "airmanship" call me to just observe the computers do what is in essence my job. Even more so as my type tends to restrict the use of the Autopilot in case of technical malfunctions: a single engine approach must be flown manually for example. So with non-critical visibility and ceiling, I consider it well advisable to use the opportunity for some hand flying as often as practical just to keep the skills ready and alive. In nice weather, I tend to switch the A/P and occasionally, situation permitting, as well the F/D off at 3000 to 6000ft.

As has been mentioned, the automatics are there to help and keep the workload at bay. They are not installed to substitute the pilots or to allow them to let their skills erode. I would therefore define airmanship with regards to automatics as "knowing how and when to use the systems capabilities while keeping ones personal skills honed".