PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2013, 23:36
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
You certainly do not have the knowledge to state so.
The BEA had the necessary tools to get some numbers.
To what end? He wasn't censured for failing to clear the trees, he was censured for taking unnecessary risks by improperly conducting an approach, then making a pig's ear of the approach itself - putting him (and his passengers and crew) low and slow with absolutely no safety margin whatsoever.

Who cares ?
I'm not reading Paris Match here, I am interested in the technical side.
Then your criticisms of the BEA are unwarranted. They are tasked with providing a technical explanation of what happens in an accident and hopefully formulating recommendations to prevent a recurrence of that accident - nothing more.

What you're demanding - either computations or practical demonstrations to show at what pitch angle the aircraft could have cleared the trees with the airspeed at that point, or indeed if the extra 2.5 degrees (by your reckoning) could have made any difference - does not fall within that remit.

*sigh* - From the documentation you don't read but still think entitled to make statements on ...
I do have the manuals and FCOM kicking around somewhere, and I'm as interested in the technical side as you are - a reference would be handy.