PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting licensed under CASA Part 66
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2013, 17:09
emergency000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting licensed under CASA Part 66

G'day all,

I completed my apprenticeship as an avionics AME earlier this year, coming through the QF apprenticeship program. So the next phase of my career in aircraft maintenance is to get licensed, especially as I'd ideally like to wind up in regional aviation or in a smaller company. As most regional and small operators only take LAMEs, this is doubly important to me.

However it seems to me that the CASA Part 66 legislation (and the section of the CASA website dealing with Part 66) was written by a B1 LAME with other B1 LAMEs in mind (no offence to B1 LAMEs).

What I mean by that is, information on actually getting from AME to LAME under Part 66 is severely lacking. The majority of the CASA website dealing with part 66 is only telling existing LAMEs, licensed under CAR 30, how to transition to Part 66.

I know I need to gain a Diploma of Aeroskills and I'm currently going through the RPL process now, to recognize all of the competencies from my apprenticeship. According to the process, all that remains after RPL is 2 exams (AA-21 & B-10), 3 essays (AA-21 & 2x B-7), a written test on environmental practices and a weight and balance. Is it actually that easy to gain a Diploma? Or am I missing something here?

I also know that I need the SOE hours. However, once again, CASA don't seem to have come up with a solution to the perennial SOE/OJT issue as yet. I believe CASA have said they're not assessing SOE books after 2015, but don't seem to be offering any alternative which leaves you high and dry unless you work for one of the airlines that make their own OJT books.

Finally, I believe that if I'm working on Group 20 aircraft, I'd need a type course. This seems to be about the most straightforward part of the whole process.

So a few questions:
1: is my summation of gaining the Diploma correct? Or am I missing something that'll trip me up down the track?

2: is there any information on SOE vs OJT books?

3: has anyone made it through the licensing process with Part 66? How did you go and what (if any) were the difficult areas to get through?

Any other hints, tips, etc.

Please please PLEASE don't say "Just go do all your CASA Basics and you'll be right", because I can't see me getting though all the basics in 18 months, so I pretty much have to commit to the part 66 system now.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
John