PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Identification of this Pilot - is it HRH Duke of York or not?
Old 15th Nov 2013, 09:59
AndySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identification of this Pilot - is it HRH Duke of York or not?

Good morning.

This is my first post after a long period of lurking on the forum. I hope you will be gentle with me? I am currently researching several Falklands related topics for some articles that I am in the process of writing, and I have come across some photos, although not directly related to my current research, I am hoping that some of the rotary members of the FAA of the era might be able to answer.

The photo below were purportedly taken on the 15th June, when members of the Scots Guards were being ferried off of Mt Tumbledown back to MV St Edmund. a couple of the photos appears to show HRH Prince Andrew.

The reason for my question is that the helicopter in question is clearly (at least to me) a Sea King HAS 2 - you can just see the shape of the radome behind the rotors, and therefore most likely to be one of the machines that had the sonar equipment removed and hastily formed into 825 NAS - but the likeness the the prince is uncanny.

and the last image, although a different airframe, shows clearly it was a HAS2.

So, if the Prince was part of 820 NAS and based on Invincible, how can he turn up in a 825 NAS machine that were based on land at this point - or is this a case of mistaken identity - or were some crews of 820 lent to help out with 825, due to fatigue with the overworked Junglie-Pinger crews ?

Thanks in advance

A

Last edited by AndySmith; 15th Nov 2013 at 23:37.