PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XL Flight 888T
Thread: XL Flight 888T
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2013, 09:32
extricate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XL Flight 888T

Hi there,

I have a few questions w.r.t the crash. Just want to gain more knowledge so go easy please.

I know that the flight test was supposed to be done at a higher altitude. Levelling at 3000ft just wouldn't be sufficient to regain altitude in case something happened and in this case, something really did happen. But i'm curious about the flight systems in particular.

I know the AOA sensors were iced up, and the report stated that the horizontal stabilizer remained at an angle of -11degrees (Nose up) for the remaining flight? Why coudn't the PF control the aircraft? Due to flight law degredation? Can someone explain the mechanics here?

Another aspect, regarding speeds. So let's say I want to conduct a low speed test. I let the speed degrades to vPROT and when aPROT engages, i disconnect it purposely because I want to let the speed reduces to vMAX? Am I correct? This is part of the stall test too right? If the speed is reduced to vMAX, the aircraft will fly at vMAX but why in this case, the speed continued to degrade? Due to loss of flight laws?

Lastly, could the aircraft be saved even though if this flight was conducted at 3000ft? What would you do differently?

As stated, i'm still learning. Not a pilot. Please stay within topic and share your knowledge

Appreciate it. Many thanks!