PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why aren't Motor Gliders more popular?
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2013, 06:37
Prop swinger

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arclite01
A Glider licence on its own is not sufficient to fly an SLMG or TMG.
No, you can fly some of the aircraft that the CAA used to refer to as SLMG on a sailplane licence.
My earlier post refers regarding what I believe is easiest system for Gllider Pilots requiring to fly any glider with an engine - the FAA system in the US
The only remotely difficult part of the old system for BGA glider pilots was the requirement to actually hold a licence to put the rating on. The training & testing was pifflingly simple but the newly qualified pilot now had to apply for a licence. Under the FAA & now EASA systems, this piece of bureaucracy is pre-done in that you need a licence just to be a pilot.
My personal favourite at the moment is the ASK-21Mi if I win the lottery.........or maybe the ASH-25e...........
Neither of which are TMGs. You don't need a TMG rating to fly either & once EASA rules become compulsory your TMG rating will not entitle you to fly them. (Sidenote: using an ASH-25e for the type of local soaring you like to do is a bit like using a McClaren P1 to pop down to the shops.)
If you can find a TMG examiner.
Not a problem. All the NPPL(SLMG) instructors & examiners will transition with TMG instructor & examiner privileges on their sailplane licences. It will be a lot easier to get & maintain TMG rights on a sailplane licence than on an aeroplane licence. If your PPL(A) has an SEP rating on it you can do your biennial instructor flight in a SEP & revalidate the TMG as well, if it's a TMG only licence you will need to find a PPL(A) instructor with a TMG instructor's rating.