PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Endo!
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2013, 00:59
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say that I am but surprised that you chasps have been 'signed off' with a tailwheel endo without 'mastering' the wheeler.

I would have thought that it would be a prerequisite to demonstrate, to a satisfactory standard, all types of landings (and take offs as well) including the wheeler and max demonstrated X winds, wing down and kick straight wheelers and 3 pointers to get a tick.

The champion products are very simple to fly, and when I do endos I always get the student into another type, (preferable a wuneighty) and run around the block a few times to see if the principles are imbedded. Then a load check to max aft in the 180, an old one without the small dorsal, in a cross wind to top it all off. If they can do all that and I would trust them with my family on board, I will sign them off. otherwise, they do more decathlon time before we try again.

I agree that it is a very good skills enhancement for those trained on milk stools, as all the harping about keeping straight and use of rudder during ab initio is generally disregarded by pilots who have convinced themselves that all that sh!t is not important. Doing a TW endo brings into sharp focus exactly WHY the instructor has been carrying on about it all the time.

Someone trained on a docile tailwheeler adapts quicker to a sensitive one, than someone who has gone the nosewheel route as the basic yaw control skills are default settings, unlike the tricycle pilot, to whom the rudder pedals may just as well be painted on the firewall for all they care.

What's special about Austers....absolutely nothing (say it again, yeah!)

My vote for nicest tailwheel aircraft to fly - Chippy of course! Also a very good trainer, even though docile , you really do need to use the rudders for ALL stages of the flight as even subtle changes in speed and power are quite noticeable, and your feet will need to be used with every nuance to keep it all nicely balanced.

No, make that the nicest to fly, regardless of where the wheels are. I recommend it to all those who are new to tailwheel aircraft, find one and do some time in it, you will not regret a minute or a dollar you have spent.

If i was Margaret Pomerantz I would give it 4 and a half stars.

HD
-