PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What helicopter for SAR in Norway?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 22:39
oldgrubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC,

I know nothing about the S92/Cyclone other than I have read here and using good old Google, but I don’t see how an aircraft that causes whole body vibration white finger (according to some on here), has only two engines, can’t “run dry” for half an hour, loses significant casualty capability when it has internal fuel tanks, only has a four blade rotor head, doesn’t yet meet Canadian acceptance standards years after contract deadline, cracks, etc etc; can be as good as the Merlin. Far29 really?
I actually like the look of the NH90 family but like the S92 I only know what you knowledgeable people have written. It uses the RTM engine like the Merlin and is known as the “baby Merlin” when we talk about it at work. It uses composites and looks good too (probably because it looks like a baby Merlin), I think that is a contender for Seaking replacement around the world, so in this aircraft’s case; yes it could be an alternative.
The Blackhawk family? Well you guys seem to blow hot and cold but from what I can see it’s a capable aircraft, but long range SAR? The Seahawk too is ok but is what we’re after an ok aircraft or one that has “spare capacity”. It seems funny that some people on here say that when the S92 was originally advertised much was made of its compatabilty with existing Blackhawk components and technology and as soon as they started falling out of the sky it was; “Oh no it’s all new, nothing to see here move along!”
The Osprey, well any aircraft that can’t auto but hovers would make me nervous, but I don’t have to fly in it. Now that is an expensive aircraft TC.
The Chinook, well it is what it is and anyone who has been under one in the hover wouldn’t fancy being winched into it from a dinghy. I suppose it could blow the survivor towards rescue; bit slow as a method though. SASless loves them and he sounds Gnarley so I am not going to argue with him.
The fact that you’re close to the secret hub and you used the word “capiche” is enough for me. I bow to your vagueness and wish no disrespect to the “Don”. I’ll let the others argue with you as I’ve run out of steam and interest.

Cheers