PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 14th Nov 2013, 18:50
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geoffers: I think I know you, atleast I've been told I know you by people like PCPlod et al.
I have to say, that coming from an ex FAA Wafu you are speaking "nanny language". You have spent too long away from the coal face methinks.
I suspect your days at Rotorsim have contaminated your thoughts. I have heard some horror stories about both customers and staff at RS.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush.
As the boss of a training establishment teaching hundreds of pilots from 6 different nations at any one time, I think I know all about standards across the globe, too.

Each of my SFI's are atleast B1 standard, some A2. ALL mil pilots are of a standard which based on your take on the situation would be head and shoulders above the civvies you seem to have condemned.
And I don't believe that for a minute. I think RS may have a localised problem but both european (mil) and large company SFI's like Bristow, CHC, et al, definitely cut the mustard old boy.
I say again:
This is a run of the mill L2 doing a boring ILS approach in very benign conditions with a 50+ yr old experienced Captain who was asleep on the damn job - simples. The co-jo wasn't far behind. They watched a benign situation develop relatively quickly (nothing outrageous) into a terminal one.
Human error 100%...Nothing wrong with the machine, nothing sinsiter about the situation, weather normal. He took his eye off the ball and killed 4 innocent people. TRAGIC human error. Don't wrap it up into any nanny state technological, systemic or physiological complexity.....it wasn't and it ain't.