PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-400 Autothrottle
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 16:15
sbuyting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B737-400 Autothrottle

Hi there,

I work for the television show "Air Crash Investigation" that airs on National Geographic channels around the world. We are producing an episode of our show on the 1989 British Midland 092 accident that occurred near Kegworth in the UK. We are trying to figure out a small technical detail that's not in the AAIB's Final Report.

In this BMA flight, just as they finished their climb, the crew experienced heavy buffeting (engine fan stall), crazy vibration, and they smelled smoke. Immediately, the Captain shut off the autopilot and took over controls, then asked the first officer which engine had the problems. When the first officer answered "the right one", the Captain told him to "Throttle it back." The report says the autothrottle also shut off, but we're not sure if throttling the right engine back would have resulted in the autothrottle automatically shutting off? Or would the crew have had to deselect the autothrottle separately before throttling the right engine back?

Can any of you Boeing experts shed some light on this for me? I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you.