PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 14th Nov 2013, 12:52
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xlsky et al

I gave a presentation at Shell in 2012 and at RAeS in London last May at which I pointed out that whilst I can never claim to be an expert on the global pilot population my colleagues at the AWTA and those at other training centres are in a unique position to present some kind of opinion about the quality of pilots and the quality of instructors.

I took the liberty of speaking about my personal experience having now taught 340 students from 49 different countries. I have said before on Prune that the system that delivers instructors is dysfunctional and the system that delivers sim instructors even more so. Where sim centres track the regulations it's possible for many SFIs to be appointed with minimal preparation. There is a huge culture shock for the SFI when he/she discovers that they are required to teach complex manoeuvres without the benefit of a set of controls. Try it one day, then think about injecting a language problem into that equation. No fun at all.

If the situation for the instructors is grim then the situation for the global pilot population is worse. I would say that less than 50% are competent.

As HC said the industry is paralysed by commercial factors that dominate decision making and powerless regulators pushed this way and that by the competing commercial interests.

Without a solid training foundation the pilot fraternity will suffer badly. The wave of complex helicopters coming into the market are already running into problems with both maintenance and operating standards.

It's not all gloom for there are a few bright spots around the world and I wish those that are biting the bullet and getting their house in order the very best of luck.

It is an unfortunate reality that if you have never been lucky enough to see a 'good' operation at work then you don't know what 'good' looks like.

G.