PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 10:13
booze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A message from a long-time Maun pilot for those who are planning to go there - from another forum, avcom.za

"I recently returned from Maun, after a four year adventure as a training manager and chief pilot. I worked at one of the big and one of the small operations. What an experience. Hopefully I can give you some tips.

In the past it was easy to get away with a fresh CPL, but recent changes in the ANR's have changed the recruitment process. Correctly stated the CAAB don't issue a Botswana CPL any more only a validation. It is therefore important to have a C172, C206 and Airvan on our license. The operators hourly criteria range from 500 as the norm to 800 hours, but there might be an operator that will look at less than 500 hours. I have always told the applicants to look at additional qualifications, like Instructors, Safety management etc. make yourself marketable sell yourself.

About being there, statement like "we want to see if the guy can endure the Maun conditions stay in a tent etc" i think that is a cock and bull story. Whether the applicant (not the poor buggers as express in the documentary) stay in a tent or lodge did not have a influence on the appointment process. In fact I appointed a good pilot on the basis of an CV I received. I looked at experience, ratings, qualifications, a general knowledge test and the person as a whole.

I suggest go to the big operators, Wilderness is listed on the JSE and the BSE, and Safari as a subsidiary of Chobe Holding listed on the BSE, then there is Mac Air, Moremi, and a few smaller ones. At the bigger ones you will get hours the smaller ones just might frustrate you in building hours.

A word of advise BECAUSE YOU ARE DESPERATE WANTING TO BE A PILOT DONT GET RAPED BY THE OPERATOR, read the contract.

Work and residence permits: Pilots are a scares skill in Botswana, although the salary does not reflect that. The norm was and may still be 350 hours labour and emigration like instructors and any other aviation qualification will support your application, BUT YOU MUST HAVE AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT TO APPLY FOR PERMITS. This is also important, there is nothing more frustrating, than employing a pilot start the training only to have his/her permits rejected on the basis that he/she has a criminal record. If you have a criminal record dont waste your time.

On the Bush Pilot drama. It is no big deal to fly in the Delta. You need individual and proper orientation and training. You as a pilot need to apply your risk managing skills and common sense. I had the privilege to train and fly with Phil and Graham. Taking Phil for his initial Skills Test, during the briefing he informed ever so friendly that he has never landed a C206 on wheels only on floats, WTF I thought. But what a fantastic test. What a privilege to fly with Graham, I did his C208 rating, fantastic pilot, no wonder he is a FO at Quatar.

Live the dream and enjoy the Delta."