PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pacemaker
Thread: Pacemaker
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 10:11
flyingscotsman99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pacemaker

Many thanks, we have that flowchart now and understand the process (I think). It is going to take 3 months PLUS the time to do the tests, PLUS c£1000 every year, PLUS the time for a Cardiologist review. It is all done through the AME, not the CAA, in the case of a class 2 medical.
He flies an EASA aircraft but also an ultralight, which raises other possibilities, which might be of interest to others.
That is, an NPPL. The medical requirement on an NPPL is effectively that of an HGV driver if you want to carry passengers. They require at least 6 weeks after fitment of a pacemaker. You then have to pay, I think, £145 plus something to the GP, assuming they will get involved, which many won't.
The application then goes through the LAA or BMAA, is checked and forwarded to the CAA. All this takes time, so might not be worth it.
If anyone reads this in the future, having had a pacemaker fitted, drop me a note and I may be able to tell you how it went in practice.
Of course if anyone who has been through the process comes upon this in the meantime it would be interesting to compare notes. Undoubtedly there are ramifications we have not thought through yet.