PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 09:28
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"and when it's on the auto scan scales ( bar code reader) if it's over weight it prints you an invoce to go and pay at the ticket desk or soon to be introduced at bag drop, no people no arguments "

And also no human discretion! What irks me about this future is who's to say the accuracy of the airline scales? How often are they checked; what is the tolerance? I use my scales at home- same questions. If the agents are taking a slice of the excess baggage, or if the airline is adding this significant amount to their profits, then discretion will be as rare as a truthful politician. With the drive towards hand baggage only travel this is a minefield. In my local baggage shop there is a list of airline's weight and size allowances. There are very few standard IATA (now why is that?) and the spectrum is so varied. Some have 7kgs, some 5kgs some 10kgs and some unlimited weight only size. All sell single tickets. Way out with one, way back with another. What a nightmare.
That little discretion over 1.5kgs is a customer service thing and best served y a human. I once tried to argue the toss over 2kgs on a 20kg baggage allowance on the basis of a 10% tolerance in the scales. It was like talking to a martian, but charm worked. The computer said 22kgs so that is what is was. Then I started the rummaging and rearranging. Out came some stuff, back on the scales, 20kgs, then the stuff went back in. Only a sensible human could have allowed that.
In this world there is already enough dealing with electronic voices and virtual customer service agents, voice menus that go on for minutes that take you to another R2 D2 type person. Please: no more.