PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 09:16
aircrashesandmiracle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote from Clandestino:
"Now if anyone thinks exact mechanism of disabling alpha floor is of concern in the accident where narrowbody full of passengers was deliberately flown below 100ft at 120 kt and idle thrust - feel free to entertain me further."

To which Chris Scott commented:
Very much associate myself with that sentiment, My base training at Blagnac with AI in March 1988 - around the same time as the Habsheim crew - naturally included that part of the flight envelope. The differences from Habsheim included: safe altitude, no rushed manoeuvering and energy disposal to botch, and NO PASSENGERS. Seeing the Habsheim video a few months later suspended belief, but suggested the protections had worked well.

As shown in my piece on the subject NEW A320 CRASHES AT AIR SHOW (HABSHEIM 1988) in Air Crashes and Miracle Landings the situation was worse than "less under 100 ft" would suggest as the trees in front of them were 40 ft high. It points out that although the captain had performed the "stunt" many times it would have been in the safe conditions mentioned by Chris Scott.
Though the engines did spool up from idle (though not in time), the manufacturer did take measures to improve their reaction time following the disaster. In view of the many other negatives, that improvement might not have been enough, but worth bearing in mind.