PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement Age and Crewing Requirements
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2013, 07:18
sapco2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of assumptions being made here folk on how others spend their money!

I for one have never bothered with the flash cars, or flash holidays for that matter! My greatest luxury was in sending my only son to a private school and it was money well spent now it's time to make provision for my own future and that of my wife's too.

The stock market collapse followed by the global depression wiped out enormous chunks from many private pension funds and annuity rates just continue to fall year on year. People in general (not just pilots) need to work longer to recover those losses instigated by the mismanagement and greed of some very large "respectable" financial institutions. I suspect the younger pilot generation will be even harder hit than my generation so many of you will need to work longer - even if you don't want to.

Fortunately, I still enjoy my job so that coupled with the fact I would prefer to recover a small portion of my pension losses means I shall keep on working just as long as my good health holds and management allow me to stay. If my EASA ATPL is truly valid for life then perhaps I may even be allowed to carry on till I'm 66 years young!?

Last edited by sapco2; 14th Nov 2013 at 11:42.