PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy 40th Birthday Bulldog XX553, ULAS '07'
Old 14th Nov 2013, 02:29
ABL262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy 40th Birthday Bulldog XX553, ULAS '07'

Hi All:

I have recently become the proud owner of Bulldog XX553 which I flew as a Cadet Pilot with the University of London Air Squadron between 1984 and 1986. For those of you who follow these things, I thought you would like to know that her first flight at Scottish Aviation Prestwick was 14 Nov 1973 which makes today her 40th“birthday”. I am pleased to report that Bulldog XX553 is still going strong and is now based at Chino airport in Southern California where she even qualifies as a member of Squadron 16 of the Warbirds of America (go figure?!). XX553 will be exhibited on the first-Saturday of most months beginning next year, so if you’re in the area, pop by or PM me and I’ll try to give you a tour and perhaps a flight too.

Now a request for help … I would like to collect some historical background on Bulldog XX553 and her time with ULAS for possible inclusion on display boards for her monthly appearance at Chino. XX553 is one of those more fortunate Bulldogs which saw unbroken service with one UAS from 14 January 1974 as ULAS ‘07’ until her last flight with the RAF on 9 August 2000. So I am appealing to all former ULAS students, instructors, ground crew, staff, etc, to send me any photos, anecdotes (gash trips or otherwise!), memorable log book entries, etc, concerning Bulldog XX553. From my own time with ULAS I have a few photos featuring XX553 at Summer Camps in Leeming and St Mawgan and some memorable trips with the late, great Pete Thorn – there must be many more stories and photos down the years which could be made up into a nice tribute to Bulldog XX553 on the occasion of her 40th birthday.

Thanks all in advance,

ABL262
PS: Anonymous submissions accepted to spare the blushes of those involved!

Last edited by ABL262; 14th Nov 2013 at 07:00. Reason: Improved formatting