PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 380 loses engine, goes 5000 miles
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2013, 22:03
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
23,000 hrs with no real engine failures just a precautionary shut down to avoid hydraulic contamination makes me feel very fortunate. I still treat each flight the same not expecting my luck to last. Flying one, two, three and four engine aircraft I have never lost an engine. I did once when I was showing my cousin how you could take a J3 Cub to altitude and stop the prop and get it windmilling again by diving it but I was young and stupid so had to dead stick it back to the airport and prop it on the runway to taxi in so they would rent to me again when I was 19.

One other time in a Jetstar they forgot to put oil in one engine and we had to shut it down. It was of course the number two engine again so lost normal hydraulics. My chief pilot was flying and I said we lost oil pressure on number two engine and he said it is just a indication problem. I said the low oil pressure light is on, we are going to destroy our engine if we don't shut it down. He reached over and shut it down and said don't tell the controllers. We only flew 20 miles but when he landed the only hydraulics we had was electrical pump. He heard it working so turned the switch off. I was a bit irritated by then but as we were approaching a line of AC and needing to turn saw our pressure drop to minimum so showed him the pressure was almost zero so was going to turn the pump back on. Thank God I got an airline job.

Last edited by bubbers44; 13th Nov 2013 at 22:44. Reason: addition