PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB reports
Thread: ATSB reports
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2013, 21:12
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with T28D, although he is being generous with the hour. Much was a copy and past exercise of others work.

When the insurance assessor arrived on site, the helicopter engine was started and performed without fault. No fuel contamination was found. Other than the damage sustained in the accident, the helicopter was reported to have been well maintained and in excellent condition.
The insurance assessor considered that the weather conditions were an incipient cause of the incident. At the time, the temperature and dew point indicated a risk of serious carburettor icing. The pilot reported that he would have expected the engine to run roughly if carburettor icing was present.
Hang on a minute, can I rewrite this in under 5 minutes and let ppruners be the judge of whether my version would make a better conclusion.

When the insurance assessor arrived on site, the helicopter engine was started and performed without fault. No fuel contamination was found. Other than the damage sustained in the accident, the helicopter was reported to have been well maintained and in excellent condition.
The insurance assessor considered that the weather conditions were an incipient cause of the incident. At the time, the temperature and dew point indicated a risk of serious carburettor icing. The pilot reported that he would have expected the engine to run roughly if carburettor icing was present.

At the time of the accident, the conditions conducive to carburettor icing existed, and despite the popular myth than an engine will run rough, this is not true if the Fuel/Air ratio's are consistent across all cylinders and simply the engine power is reduced due to a significant loss in mass air flow to the engine.

Safety message to pilots: At the onset of a power loss and noting the insufficient carburettor heat by indication of the instrument, if the non normal state is unexplained, (i.e. heat was applied but instruments show otherwise) treat the instruments as correct and suspect an imminent engine failure, take appropriate measures immediately. Do not continue the flight until the anomaly is resolved.

Safety message to engineers, and pilots: Know your systems and the critical nature of certain elements and ensure they are 100% functional. Trust your instruments

Took 5-10 minutes, and perhaps provides a better safety message.

Another waste of a report, and possibly only achieves one thing, KPI's. Attribution to AKRO