Your passenger brief is required to cover the following areas:

Seatbelts
Exits
Smoking
Emergency equipment
Use of personal equipment eg. mobile phones
Control seat pax not to interfer with the controls

Some guidelines to consider when giving your brief:

Avoid using jargon (eg. how could a pax. be expected to know what an 'aileron' is?)

Avoid 'padding out' the brief or the important information will be lost amongst the 'waffle'.

Give the brief prior to any start procedure (in case of fire). A good time is after the passengers board, you have completed supervising fastening seatbelts & doors and the hand luggage is stowed.

Avoid using terms that will make passengers more nervous than they may already be.

Give information that applies to ALL passengers first, then information that is passenger specific (otherwise the uninvolved passengers may not be listening when you give the rest of the information they require).

An example (for the PA28). Items in italics are things for you to do (not say).

------------
"For your own safety aviation regulations require you to:

* Fasten your seatbelt during take-off and landing or as I direct. The seatbelt is released by lifting the faceplate on the buckle. Show this

* The Normal exit in this aircraft is the door through which you entered the cabin. It is opened by moving this handle FORWARD and then moving this handle UP. Indicate appropriate handles

* Smoking is not permitted during take-off or landing or as I direct.

* An extinguisher is located in front of my seat.

* The overwater part of our flight requires lifejackets to be carried. They are located (place) indicate place). If necessary, the lifejacket is donned by …xxxx…(describe how). Don’t inflate the lifejacket until you have exited the aircraft.

* Mobile phones are not permitted to be used while airborne"
Now turn to the control seat passenger...

* "Ensure you remain clear of the pedals on the floor, the controls and the instruments in front of you and between us."

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 27th Apr 2002 at 12:31.