PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 380 loses engine, goes 5000 miles
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2013, 11:04
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.... seems a lot of people should not get out of bed in the morning - they certainly shouldn't go into the bathroom, statistically one of the most dangerous places on earth. The drive to the airport or the crew bus to the hotel aren't much better

I've been unlucky enough to have had quite a few (into double figures) engine failures on 2, 3 and 4 engine jet aircraft - the failures ranged from nasty to benign

As always after the noises were cancelled and the checklists run a cup of tea was ordered and the situation was considered carefully. Years of experience, technical knowledge, airmanship etc were then employed by all on the crew to decide on the way forward - it seemed to work out well on all occasions and yes, I did divert on one of them but then 330 people on one engine does call for a bit more prudence. Professionals at work or at least I like to think so.

Not once did the company exert any pressure, nor did they call me up afterwards for an "explanation"

A few years ago the monitoring of the aircraft, particularly the engines, by computers through satcom was an incredible leap forward as an aid to dealing with this type of situation. Call the maintenance dept and they can give you an incredible amount of detail on what is going on - oh, and handily ops would send you an updated engine out CFP ... mind you, the old rules of thumb still seem to work.

It might irk a few here but, I've got to say dealing with the failure of an engine is very much like dealing with the failure of any component on the aircraft.

If what everyone wants is the "LAND IMMEDIATELY/ASAP/NEAREST" instruction at the end of the checklist so that you don't have to think, exercise any airmanship or demonstrate any professionalism then two things will happen - firstly, you will actually cause yourself much more grief on most occasions (good luck in ADAK) and secondly, we'll see drones before you know it

I just think that if you want aviation to be so black and white you might be in the wrong business (I blame the digital age - particularly when the PNF is calling +2, +3 down the approach )

... can't think of any flights in the recent past that crashed because they continued a flight after shutting down a jet engine (where the shut down engine caused the crash) - is it really an issue or, over the years, have we actually dealt with the scenarios/failures professionally as we should have done? Has anything changed ?