PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2013, 16:34
DonH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you A33Zab. Finally we have something to chew on!

As O.G. has respectfully asked vilas, is there a source? To me, this reads like an individual Operator's term and not something from Airbus.
A key statement is, "In all cases, the MOIs are to be used for information only, and the contractual flight operations manuals remain the support documentation of reference for flight crews."

I'd flown Airbus from 1992 on, for fifteen years and had never heard of the term. I know of ATB's, (Aircraft Technical Bulletins), SB's, (Service Bulletins), OEB's (Operational Engineering Bulletins, which are issued for immediate action due safety relevance), and those more closely associated with the regulator such as SAFO's, (FAA), AD's, (regulator/manufacturer) and so on. Encountered here and then not defined for others, the term "MOI" remained a mystery.

By the description, I understand that an "MOI" is for flight crew information only and as such is advisory, where (as described) a non-technical description of the more formal SB may be desired for quick distribution. Of course, it is understandable that each carrier may have its own informal distribution network where terms may differ between Operators where they are not part of the continuing airworthiness process.

As such, I doubt if an MOI would be proprietary in the same way an Operator's AOM may be so it would be of interest to have at least a hint of what the actual document stated.