PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2003, 03:36
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtually the entire investigative group of 587 bid off the aircraft based on what they learned (including Jason Goldberg). A huge number of others did as well. These guys were not stupid. They really did their homework talking to engineers, structures peoples, composit people etc...

For many of them it just doesn't pass the wife and kids test anymore.

The Airbus at AA is a VERY small tight comunity. There were only 35 aircraft total in the fleet. In NY there were about 90 captain and 90 copilots. We all knew each other quite well and had flown with everyone. It was a stable community with no turnover. People stayed on the aircraft often till they retired. No one but no one thinks that Sten Molin or Ed States could have ever reversed the rudder 5 times in any circumstance.

Now compare that to the 727 community where when STen was on it we had 180 727s or so... So one idiots characterization of sten's flying doesn't hold a lot of water...

The only reason that I stayed on the aircraft is that I felt that the alligator that is closest to the boat are Islamic terrorists with knives, and they are more likely to go after another 757/767 because of the ease of getting sim time in those planes (this goes to whether you think 9/11 is really over, and I got to say, I think nothing has really been done to prevent another one)

As to AA procedures, I don't agree with all of em, but they are written in blood. The arrival announcement is to get the slides (to prevent killing someone in the gate area with an accidental deployment) just before the aircraft stops. It doesn't really distract me. All aircraft are required to have boom mikes, I just configure it before I enter the ramp and use the toggle. I am still lookin out the window, yet making my announcement. With my feet over the brakes, I guarantee even if I develope a stutter we aint gonna hit my wingtip...

I don't view the captain making an anouncement while he taxies as a big deal either. We got brakes on my side of the airplane for that problem as well. And I haven't seen anyone brief below 10 on my aircraft either. Don't know where you saw that, but I have spent almost my entire career in the Airbus community and we don't do it.

And as to maneuvering a Jet. Do what it takes to keep the blue side up, You get upside down and you got bigger problems. That doesn't mean we were taught to go out and break the aircraft. We haven't had any problems with that sort of thing in the other 800 or so jets that were in the fleet, but somehow the Airbus community got a bunch of busted tails.

Sure seams like an airbus problem to me.

Cheers
WIno