PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2013, 10:48
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeroforce : If you read both my posts 5202 & 5204 , you might see that we are in agreement and also identify the very fine line I allude to. If GF have a pilot shortage, of course, they will seek to promote from within. All airlines do that. However, a slight lowering of standards is not the way forward. The maintaining of high selection standards is vital but because the casualties will be higher in number, bad vibes start to evolve. My point, in the earlier posts, was that the same high standards of selection should be applied to the DEC area. From other posts, it looks, sadly, that it was not. The result is a very low morale situation developing.

My experience has shown that there is a core division of highly admirable First Officers who do a fantastic job and have excellent track records with long service, BUT, when it comes down to the wire, make poor command decisions or worry the assessors for different reasons. Motivation, personal qualities etc. Often, the Command interviewers will be left with quizical concerns. Most wide re-action I ever encountered was a , sort of, 'Well, that was a surprise, eh ? Didn't go too well ! Thought he would have walked it ! ' etc etc. One guy with a fabulous track record but a slight tendancy to get very easily irritated actually, when pushed, threatened to lamp all of us on the Board & walked out in a big hissy fit.

Again, all airlines have this going on & I share a little of my experience .

What GF must do is keep the standards high for both DEC recruitment and upgrade. Very fine line and seriously cosequential if you get it wrong.