PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 12th Nov 2013, 08:32
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dilemma....

I sat there today admiring the shear technical marvel that our simulator represents. Why am I being so negative about them when they truly are magnificent pieces of technology.

Then I thought of the analogy with the heart surgeon. He comes to you as you lay in bed, awaiting his attention. You are confident that this guy has the skills to deliver the huge improvement in your condition that the procedure promises but then he arrives to prepare you for the 'operation'. "Mr Geoffrey I am so very pleased to tell you that I have assembled all of the vital equipment needed for your procedure and I can guarantee that 99% of it is functioning perfectly."

You are reassured by the fact that the odds must surely be in your favour with only 1% of the essential equipment being dysfunctional. Your wife is not so sure. "If the dysfunctional equipment is essential surely that means that you will not be able to achieve the standard you aspire to?"

"Perfectly true Mrs Geoffrey but what can I do, perfection is very difficult because each day the dysfunctionality appears in a different area because the technology is software-driven and it would cost a lot more to have reliable software. Our service is cost driven so we must use generic equipment made in the more economic industrial areas."

Just as well the surgeons don't run their surgical lists like we run or flight simulators.

Can you imagine having a pacemaker that ran on Windows! ??

The 'Blue Screen of Death" then takes on a whole different meaning.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 12th Nov 2013 at 08:57.