PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHIRP 108 - too much rubbish on ATIS
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2013, 20:56
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds likes like you are being sensible about it. But it could be argued that it should only be placed on the ATIS until a NOTAM can be issued and a reasonable time period to allow all crew to be able to read it. ie max 24 hours on the ATIS.

For your first point late landing clearance to us is sub 500ft or even down to over the threshold. Not as some airports would like to think at 4 miles. A continue approach birdy on the runway doesn't need any prior warning.

Again go-around is expected at any point on the approach.

Ass covering accepted and at least your honest.

And if the CAA says its to be so be it. And if its the only message then that's fine.

You are 100% correct about the tuning it out I reckon more than one day and its 100% tuned out. A large % won't even pay it any attention anyway. It won't change how we fly the approach profile.

If you normally don't have any guff on the ATIS the effectiveness of the message is 1000% more than an airfield which regularly has guff additions.

The LVP's entering and exiting the runway full length is reasonable as is anything which concerns the live runway usage eg exits blocked etc. That certainly isn't guff.

Thanks for the reply.

Must admit though as a TP driver we do tend to eat birds and spit them out. I am well into double figures of bird strikes. Weirdest one was at 8000ft level in the centre of England a bird dived down into the prop as if it was aiming for it. Didn't see a single bird before that or after. Only proof that it had happen was the blood splattered every where. And I am certain most of the airports DB6 operates into would have a perm bird activity going. But its part and parcel of flying the highlands and islands. If there isn't birds about that means you in the middle of a force 7 or stronger and you have other things to worry about.

Just remembered another good one for the Guff collection.

Windsock unserviceable. Do you honestly think we are looking at the windsock while we are landing?

Last edited by mad_jock; 11th Nov 2013 at 21:06.