PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2013, 18:59
baggersup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basil - same round here. ISTR a memorial somewhere locally with 4 or 5 of the same name - brothers, cousins, whatever - horrible.
I've seen this untold numbers of times in rural Britain in villages. Of course the memorial is always front and center in any village.

Having a particular interest in The Great War (and the societal changes it brought), I never fail to stop and read all of the names in my head. It seems awful to just pass by. To me, part of remembering is to look at each name and acknowledge the person.

At one village in Berkshire, I noticed about 40 names on the town memorial. Now back then the whole village and area could not have had more than 150 people.

But 40 names were on that cenotaph from 1914-18. And 20 of them had the same surname.

And even worse, on alot of these village memorials the names listed right after for 1939-1945 also are the same surname. Cousins? Sons? It's awful.

Cannot even imagine loss on that scale.

But wearing my poppy here in the U.S. (Not that anybody knows what it is, but wearing it anyway). Get some perplexed looks though--paper poppy on coat. Must look odd to somebody who does not know what it means.